- Preheat oven to 160˚C
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron casserole dish, season the chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper and then brown them gently. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and set them to one side.
- Add the diced pancetta to the pot and gently sauté until golden brown and then add the pickled onions and the mushrooms and cook over a high heat until they take on some colour.
- Add the mustard to the pot, stir well and cook for a minute and then add the white wine to the pot and deglaze, stirring vigorously to lift up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chicken and the juices back to the casserole dish and then add the pickling onions, the mushrooms, the bouquet garni followed by the stock. Bring the casserole to a gentle boil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Put the lid on the pot and cook in the oven for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Place the pot back on the stove over a gentle heat and remove the lid. Trim the asparagus and cut into small pieces and add to the pot with the peas. In a small bowl mix the corn flour with some cold water to make a slurry and add to the casserole dish stirring well to incorporate. Cook gently for a couple of minutes, stirring the pot every so often, until the asparagus is tender and the sauce thickens.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and finish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve this with a creamy garlicky mash.
NOTE: Bouquet garni is a bundle of herbs (usually parsley, thyme and bay leaves) that is tied
together with string and used in soups, stocks and stews. The bouquet is boiled with the other
ingredients, before being removed prior to consumption.
You can easily make your own or buy ready made from the herbs and spices section of your
local food store or supermarket.