To make the marinade, combine butter, garlic, smoked paprika, whisky, chilli, cumin, oregano, lemon juice, black pepper and coriander.
For this recipe you will need to spatchcock or butterfly the chicken:
- Turn the chicken breast side down and with a sharp pair of kitchen scissors cut along either side of the back bone to remove it.
- Locate the breast bone and cut through the little piece of white gristle at the base of bone at the wish bone end of the bird, twist to raise the breast bone. Run your fingers carefully along either side of the breast bone and gently ease it out.
- Remove any unwanted fat and sinew, and any other unwanted pieces of bone. and then flip the chicken over and tuck the wing tips underneath.
- To help your chicken to cook evenly run your knife along the legs bones to open them up slightly. Not only will this aid the cooking process it will allow more of the marinade in to flavour the bird.
- Rub the marinade into the chicken and leave to infuse for 2-3 hours before cooking.
- Preheat an oven to 200˚C
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. When the pan is hot, season the chicken with the salt and place it skin side down and cook for a few minutes to colour the skin.
- Transfer the chicken to a roasting tray and place it on flesh side down and cook in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until it is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and leave the chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into pieces to serve.