- Poach the chicken by placing it in a small stock pot (approximately 8 litres) and fill with cold water until the chicken is completely covered.
- Add the vegetable and aromatics and bring to a rolling boil. Turn the pot down to a very gentle simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes. Check if the chicken is cooked by making a small incision through skin between the breast and the leg. The meat should be slightly pink. Turn off the heat and leave the chicken to cool in the poaching liquid for 45-60 minutes. The chicken will gently cook all the way through and be succulent and tender.
- When cool remove the meat from the bone, removing the sinew as you go, and shred carefully with your hands. (this can be done well in advance and refrigerated until needed)
For the dressing
- 50ml fish sauce
- 60ml lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely shaved palm sugar
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 birdseye chilli finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
Combine all the ingredients together well and leave to infuse to allow the palm sugar to dissolve.
To assemble the salad
- In a large bowl combine the poached shredded chicken with the prepared vegetables and herbs.
- Pour in the dressing and the peanuts and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.